Monthly Archives: July 2016
Fashion is one thing that keeps on changing constantly. Trends observed on the cover of every fashion magazine today, are replaced by something else tomorrow! It is actually a cycle, a fashion that is dubbed as ‘old’ today, doesn’t completely fade away, it returns again after some years. Fashion designers, fashion police, and fashion conscious people give a modern look to that ‘old’ fashion, and then that fashion again becomes a hit! Victorian fashion is one such style. This style was obviously first observed during the Victorian period, during the 19th century.
It refers to the trends of the British culture that existed during the reign of queen Victoria, commonly known as the Victorian era. This era lasted for almost two-thirds of the 19th century, which is why we see many different Victorian styles. Clothes were made by hand at the start of the era, however by the end of this age, they were made only by machines. This change is also seen in the fashion clothing of that time. Though the method of sewing the clothes changed, a few styles remained the same. Men of the Victorian age wore stiff ankle length or full length clothing whereas the women wore flowery, flowing gowns or dresses. The outfits changed according to the occasion, however the length remained the same. Women had to wear full length dresses, they were not even allowed to expose their ankles, it was regarded almost a crime. Ironically, bare shoulders or cleavage showing gowns were allowed.
When it came to fashion jewelry, like women of any era or age, Victorian women also loved jewelry! Art Nouveau and pearls were commonly used. One interesting fact is that mourning jewelry was the most popular kind of jewelry! It started with Queen Victoria itself, she wore jet jewelry after Prince Albert’s death. Almost everything that was black in color would be used to make mourning jewelry, sometimes it also included the deceased person’s hair!
Modern Victorian Fashion for Women
- Shirts/Blouses: Free-flowing skirts can obviously not be worn on an everyday basis now. So instead opt for Victorian style shirts. Choose blouses made of lace, velvet, or silk and remember, the more feminine the dress is, the more Victorian it is. Go for colors like pale yellow, light blue, black, royal blue, rose pink, ivory etc. You could get pearl-style buttons stitched to complete the look.
- Jackets: Jackets were very popular during the start of the era. To give a modern look to these old-fashioned jackets, choose wool or velvet. Blazers with a feminine cut will also do. In winter, you can opt for cashmere sweaters which have elegant buttons and delicate embroidery. Choose colors like green, deep purple, brown, etc.
- Jeans: You do not need to wear long gowns to be Victorian. You can even wear jeans to dress like one. For that, buy jeans that have delicate designs, pearls, lace, velvet trim, etc.
- Skirts: Skirts with hoops and laces should be worn. Velvet tier skirts also have a Victorian touch to them. Wear woolen stockings and black fishnets with your grand skirts.
Now that you know what kind of dress you should wear, let’s see how to complete the look with the right accessories.
- Necklaces: Chokers are the first choice when it comes to Victorian style jewelry, you can opt for lace or velvet chokers. A single diamond pendant necklace or a locket can also be worn. To a party, wear only pearls!
- Earrings: Studs were more popular than earrings during this era. So buy rhinestone studs. However, if studs do not go well with your dress, go for chandelier earrings of the same color as that of the blouse.
- Bracelets and Rings: Silver or gold plated bracelets with rhinestone elegant pearls look great on a Victorian dress. Choose rings with big stones and a good shine to complete the look.
Try thigh-high boots or lace-up shoes in colors like brown or black. High heels also look good on any Victorian outfit.
This was all about Victorian fashion for women. These were just some fashion tips, add your creativity to these tips to achieve that perfect modern Victorian look!
All girls like to look pretty, yes, even the nerdy and the studious ones have this hidden desire to turn into divas and make every hunk swoon over them. That is why we see so many parlors, fashion magazines, designers, whose business is flourishing day by day. It is a well-known fact that the first thing that attracts a man in a woman is her physical beauty. That is why we find women of all ages going to any lengths to look attractive and appealing. The way a girl dresses up and carries herself, adds a lot to her physical beauty. Right kind of clothes and makeup can make even an ordinary girl, look like a beauty queen. At the same time, a gorgeous woman who is dressed badly, may not look so appealing. Here are some useful tips, which one can make use of, for everyday dressing as well as while dressing for special occasions.
Comfort is the Key
The first and probably, the most important fashion tip, is to wear such clothes and shoes, in which one is completely at ease. If you are dressed in something which makes you uncomfortable, it is bound to show on your face, making you seem awkward and under confident. So, remember to always wear clothes in which you are comfortable.
Dress According to Body Type
When choosing clothes, always opt for the ones, which help to hide your flaws and bring up your attractive features. A good way to ensure that is to wear clothes according to your body type. If you are top-heavy, i.e you have a heavy bust and broad shoulders, wear shirts and blouses which draw attention away from your upper body. Wear a “V neck”, shirts with horizontal lines and small collars with minimal designs on them. A girl who is bottom heavy, should avoid wearing body hugging jeans as it will bring the attention to her heavy posterior. Instead, she should wear loose, low waist pants or straight skirts, teemed with tight tops to bring attention to her upper body, instead of the lower body.
Appropriate makeup is very essential to get the right look. During the day, one should go in for a more natural look, and avoid loud colors such as blue or green. Wear only a light lipstick, mascara, pale eye shadow and an eyeliner while at school. And even if you are planning to use foundation or other makeup bases, it is advised that you try them on the weekends first, taking help from your mother or elder sister, and once you become adept at it, you may apply the same to school. As far as evening makeup or makeup for parties is concerned, one can try to experiment with colors that match the outfit. In the night, dark makeup colors such as black, brown, blue, look really good.
Things to Avoid
Here is a list of fashion blunders which should be avoided.
- Do not over accessorize, i.e wear five, six chains together, or a ring on every finger, as it does not look classy at all, unless of course dressing like a hippie is what you like.
- Low waist pants or jeans which show your lingerie can be a big turn off as they look quite vulgar.
- Do not wear a black lipstick.
- Do not wear awkward combination of clothing, like teaming long t-shirts with full length skirts.
- If you are wearing a white dress or a white blouse, do not wear a black bra underneath, instead go in for a skin colored one.
- Lastly, do not mix various dressing styles, for example do not wear sports shoes with an evening dress.
Keeping these tips in mind, the next time you dress up for an occasion or for your date, will help you to avoid committing any fashion faux paus. One last tip before I sign off – Attitude, confidence and a genuine smile are very important to carry off any outfit, so always remember to wear them too.
Have you often gone shopping and felt nothing ever fitted your body, or if it did, it did not really flatter you? Well, I am sure it must have happened at some point in your life. Somehow, ‘the beautiful shift dress looked beautiful only on the mannequin’ … these and many such other situations make shopping a stressful activity for many. However, not many of us realize one can have a great time shopping if done wisely. Why buy clothing that do not enhance the personality and follow baseless trends? Rather, opt for fashionable clothing that boosts your confidence and beautifies your appearance. A perfect fit is more important than shopping for designer clothing. The secret of dressing to kill lies in picking the right clothing gear and teaming it with other items that blend well.
Different Body Shapes
Before noting down fashion tips, we need to learn the basic and common body shapes amongst women.
- Pear Shape: Women who belong to this category have a narrow upper body, with a heavier bottom and thighs.
- Apple Shape: In this case, women have a broader upper body with a narrow bottom. Women with this body type tend to put on more weight on the middle area.
- Boyish/ Athletic Shape: This shape refers to women with a narrow figure overall. Weight is evenly distributed in such cases.
- Hourglass Shape: A narrow waist with the upper and lower body in great proportion is what an hourglass shape is all about. This shape is like a dream come true for many women.
These were the basic body shapes, and there can be variations in this depending upon each woman. The trick lies in enhancing the positive points.
What to Wear for your Body Shape
Now, who does not love gorgeously flowing or short fitting dresses? Floral prints, animal prints, or solids, dresses have always wooed women of all age groups. Use these fashion tips to dress as per your body shape.
- Pear Shape: Women with this body shape should avoid shift dresses, as they tend to cling to the body. Choose dresses that accentuate the upper area of the body to draw attention away from the lower area.
- Apple Shape: Choose dresses that have interesting necklines. This will pull the attention away from the stomach area. Avoid clingy fabrics for the upper body.
- Boyish/Athletic Shape: You can safely wear dresses with loads of ruffles and frills. Look for typical feminine dresses that increase the overall volume of the body shape.
- Hourglass Shape: Need I say again that any kind of dress will suit such a figure? You can safely opt for fitting or flowing dresses.
Whether you need a touch of romance or flirty fun, skirts are perfect for a date, or even at work.
- Pear Shape: Skirts should help to slim down the bottom area in this case. Choose skirts that taper towards the ankles in dark shades, and avoid ones that flare from the waist onwards.
- Apple Shape: Opt for pleated styles and well-fitting skirts. This will bring the attention away from the tummy. Pencil skirts are a huge no-no in this case.
- Boyish/Athletic Shape: Layered skirts with floral prints look pretty on women with an athletic shape. Opt for layers and detailing.
- Hourglass Shape: Well-fitted skirts, such as the pencil skirt with side slits look great on hourglass shapes. You can experiment in terms of fabrics and colors.
Jeans / Pants / Trousers
We all love wearing denim jeans or trousers, but you need to choose the right fit. Did someone mention that searching for the right fit is as difficult as searching for the perfect man?
- Pear Shape: Trousers should be in dark colors. Choose patterns that widen towards the ankle area.
- Apple Shape: Trousers or pants should be slightly loose, with less detailing. Avoid those heavy pockets, choose simple silhouettes instead.
- Boyish/Athletic Shape: This lucky lot can safely wear skinny jeans and fitting trousers. Team it with stylish boots, and you will rock!
- Hourglass Shape: Jeans or trousers that fit like a glove are great for an hourglass shape. You can safely opt for low-waist jeans as well!
The kind of range one gets in terms of fashionable tops and jackets is quite mind-boggling. The trick obviously lies in choosing the perfect style.
- Pear Shape: You can safely opt for tops and jackets with a lot of detailing. Team it with a chunky necklace.
- Apple Shape: Tops with scoop necks work wonders for the apple shape. Look for tops that fall lightly and do not add more weight to the upper body. Jackets that cover the tummy are ideal for this body shape.
- Boyish/Athletic Shape: Go in for sporty tops or even layered clothing. Feminine tops with ruffles are also a great option. Jackets with zany graphics or added pockets can bring out the best in you.
- Hourglass Shape: Tops with V-necks suit women with an hourglass figure. Clingy fabrics will add a sexy element to your personality.
Use these fashion tips to dress up your best and floor everybody around you. It is not about which brand you buy, but about how you learn to dress as per your own personality. Have fun!
Whether you love or hate it, the turtleneck is a classic staple that can be modernized enough to wear with today’s latest trends. Gone are the days when turtlenecks used to be itchy and scratchy to wear. What we’re looking for is sophistication, along with the classic charm of a turtleneck; this is the new trend you should follow. Turtlenecks can be tricky to wear, if you have absolutely no idea how to style them properly. In hopes of capturing the essence of Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe, more often than not, some of us do go down a disastrous lane. But there should be no such occurrences as we have the answer for you right here. And to prove it, we’ve got some amazing looks for both men and women.
Ways to Wear a Turtleneck in Style
Most of us have a childhood memory which involves struggling with our mom, and not wanting to wear a turtleneck to school. But today, there are many designers who have reinvented the face of turtlenecks for men and women alike.
Outfit Ideas for Women
Wear a flattering, figure-hugging turtleneck, and you’re golden. This piece of clothing is easy to work with, as it provides ample structure and elegance to the entire outfit.
Tip #1 – Keeping the modern and classic persona combined, pair your turtleneck with jeans or a girly skirt.
Tip #2 – Accessories, of course, should be added keeping the major colors of your ensemble in mind. You do not want to be caught wearing too many colors for no reason. But if you’re confident enough to pull off a look, mix and match with bright accessories, and not with other clothing items.
Tip #3 – Go with color-blocked turtlenecks, and pair it with a skirt that matches one of the hues of the sweater. It gives the outfit a more interesting, yet warm and cozy appeal.
Tip #4 – Now the good news is, although I did say that too many colors are a no-no, that logic doesn’t necessarily apply to the turtleneck itself. Why shouldn’t you wear a brightly colored turtleneck with a black skirt? I say, go for it.
Tip #5 – Depending on the fabric and its thickness, you can either choose to tuck it in your jeans or pants, or leave it as is.
Tip #6 – While you’re in the mood of adding layers, always keep the weather in mind. Unnecessary layers will come back to haunt you once you leave your home.
Tip #7 – If you want, wear sleeveless or half-sleeved turtleneck sweaters and tops with skirts or pants. Turtlenecks are warm to begin with, and while placing one or two more layers can definitely spell disaster, the right way of going about it can truly make a difference.
Outfit Ideas for Men
Truth be told, men in turtlenecks look hot, but the color and fit have to be just right. You can’t just throw things together and head out. Follow some of the tried-and-tested ideas before you don a turtleneck.
Tip #1 – Firstly, instead of wearing a V-neck sweater, wear a turtleneck sweater.
Tip #2 – If the weather permits, put on an awesome jacket that complements the color of your turtleneck.
Tip #3 – Avoid mixing the chunky and puffy knits with a lightweight jacket or suit as it will tire out the outfit, and you.
Tip #4 – With a voluminous turtleneck, your neckline will seem lost, when actually it should be worn to seem elongated. The runway may suggest adding the style to your wardrobe; however, be careful as to what actually does look good on you.
Tip #5 – To pair a turtleneck with khaki pants, you can easily bring in the preppy vibe to your outfit. How, you ask? It’s quite simple actually. You can either wear a woolen cable knit or cotton turtleneck, but choose a dark shade. Complete the outfit with a dark brown pea coat or a gray jacket.
Tip #6 – If bright-colored turtlenecks don’t float your boat, choose a black turtleneck instead. This way, you can wear it under a blazer, a sports jacket, or even another light sweater.
Tip #7 – Don’t pull on the sweater while you’re wearing it, and make sure that you pick a turtleneck that makes your neck appear slimmer. That way, the overall look doesn’t seem forced or overdone.
Always remember to finish off your outfits with the right pair of shoes to make an impact. But if you’re not comfortable with too many colors and styling choices, just pair a solid-colored turtleneck with jeans, and head out through the door in a matter of minutes.